Patron Code of Conduct
In order to allow all patrons of the Upper Merion Township Library to use its facilities to the fullest extent during its regularly scheduled hours, the following rules and regulations will be enforced:
- Patrons shall be engaged in activities associated with the use of a public library while in the building. Patrons not engaged in reading, studying, or using library materials may be required to leave the library. Patrons shall not interfere with the use of the library by other patrons or interfere with library employees' performance of their duties.
- Patrons shall not consume food, smoke, use tobacco or tobacco products in the library. water, in containers with lids, is permitted. Patrons under the influence of alcohol or drugs will be removed from the library.
- Patrons shall not engage in any illegal activity while in the library.
- Patrons shall respect the rights of other patrons and shall not harass or annoy others through noisy or boisterous activities, by staring at another person with the intent to annoy that person, by following another person about the library, with the intent to annoy that person, by playing audio equipment so that others can hear it, by singing or talking loudly, by using a cell phone or by behaving in a manner that reasonably can be expected to disturb other persons.
- Any materials removed from the library must be checked out on a valid library card or through other standard library procedures such as interlibrary loan.
- Patrons shall not deface, damage, or destroy any part of the collection, furnishings, equipment or building elements of the library. Patrons who do will be required to pay all direct and associated costs. All privileges will be suspended until restitution is made.
- Patrons shall not be permitted to enter the library without a shirt or other covering of the upper body or without shoes or other footwear. Patrons whose bodily hygiene is a nuisance to other patrons may be required to leave the library.
- Each patron shall be responsible for any fines, fees or other charges due in accordance with the library's standard schedules. Failure to pay these fines will result in a suspension of borrowing privileges.
- Patrons shall not bring pets or animals into the library, other than guide dogs.
- Children under the age of seven (7) may not enter or be left in the library without an attending adult.
- All briefcases, bags, and similar items are subject to inspection by staff members.
- Abusive patrons or anyone not abiding by the rules and regulations of the library may be referred to the librarian in charge and may be required to leave the library. Library employees may contact the Upper Merion Township Police for appropriate action.
- Any patron who violates library rules and regulations may be denied access to the library by the library board, on recommendation of the library director. Any patron whose privileges have been denied may have the decision reviewed by the board.
Internet Use Policy
For more information about the Library's policies, ask a librarian on staff.